Are mobility scooters covered by medicare?
Medicare covers mobility scooters under their Medical Part B plan. However, the physician in-charge of treating your condition must first submit a written statement, showing that you have a health condition requiring you to use a scooter at home.
What are the requirements?
There are certain minimum requirements that you must meet in order for your mobility scooter to qualify for medicare coverage. Some of them include:
- You’re unable to perform daily activities of living such as dressing, bathing, using the washrooms and getting in/out of bed even while using support structures such as a cane, walker or crutch.
- You have a medical condition that prevents you from freely moving around your house.
- Despite your health status you can still operate or get on/off a scooter easily, or alternatively you have someone always ready to help you use the mobility scooter safely when need arises.
- The doctor treating you for the medical condition that requires a scooter, as well as your supplier are both registered to the Medicare program.
- You can conveniently use the device within your home without any barriers, for instance, it’s not too large to pass through doorways inside your house, or blocked by any household constructions along its path.
Moreover, in certain states such as California, Illinois, Georgia and Indiana your doctor or medical scooter supplier should first get pre-approval before any medicare is given.
How much does medicare pay:
Typically, medicare covers 80% of the cost of your medical scooter, while you pay 20% of the Medicare-approved sum after meeting the deductible charges for the year. Nevertheless, if you’re registered to a Medicare Advantage Plan such as PPO or HMO, then contact your medicare plan provider to find out more about the costs, as well as which scooter suppliers are more suitable for you.
How our website can help you find and compare mobility scooters:
Once you’re ready to get a free mobility scooter for seniors, you can check out our website for more information on the different types of scooters that are available and their functionalities. Mobility scooters come in various forms and designs to suit the user’s specific movement needs. Our website gives you a platform to compare them based on factors such as; model, capacity, turning radius, maximum speed and operating range among others.
We recommend that you choose a scooter which is ideal for your weight-class and body shape since this will affect the equipment’s stability, especially when taking corners. For instance, if you’re tall you would want a device that has sufficient leg room so that you don’t feel squeezed inside. Similarly, the scooter should be able to support the weight of other items you may want to carry such as; shopping bags, oxygen tanks, golf clubs or even pets.
Additionally, if you’re planning to use your mobility scooter frequently then we recommend getting a model with a large battery that doesn’t require frequent recharging. This will allow you to run your errands freely without worrying about the battery losing its power during movement, and causing immobility.
To summarize, our website is the best portal to find all the information you need about mobility scooters, so that you can pick the perfect equipment for your daily use.